Monday, February 2, 2009

I've been thinking for a while now what I wanna write next on this blog. There is so much that is going on all at one time, it's hard to try and think about everything individually. However, the biggest thing that has happened--which in itself encompasses a lot of what I'm thinking about--has been the Useful to the Master Southeast Campus Retreat 2009.

If there has ever been a life-changing experience I've had in my life, this event comes close to the top of the list. Three days of intense bible studies, singing, devos, more bible studies, and being around 450 other college students with like-minded beliefs and convictions is almost to intense to recount. The bible studies alone were numerous, but very insightful, completely scripture-based, and convicting to the core of my very being. Eight sheets of paper, 16 pages in essence, of notes I took while on this retreat. Preachers from all over the southeast spoke on a variety of subjects, from making an immediate impact on the world and in the Kingdom, even as a new disciple, to analyzing II Timothy to find out exactly what Paul was saying and what he wanted to get across to Timothy, to a study on how to correctly handle the Word of Truth, complete with 21 scriptures in the hour and a half the class lasted. It was very interesting to see how these different campus leaders saw the campus ministries today, and what they each felt needed to be improved--which is indeed a lot.
To make it even cooler, I could see specific changes in other people as the weekend progressed. Some came out of their shells to be more open, goofy, and comfortable around all these other amazing people. Others realized just how crazy their lives were getting, and began making changes, getting things in order, and taking the role of an active diciple of Christ as we were called to be.

It was an amazing weekend, and now the Charlotte Church Campus Ministry returns to its home, fired up like never before, and ready for the next thing that comes our way. And since I've traded in the freshman housing for the slightly more appealing Holshouser Hall, there is a very significant amount of guys in the campus ministry. One of the guys decided he wanted to put into motion the idea of bible studies, multiple times a week, for us to grow closer to each other and be able to build each other up, as well as share in each other's lives. It's gonna be an amazing semester, i do believe.

Another thing I've noticed about the campus ministry since returning from the retreat is that many of us are making significant changes in our lives, trying to improve where we are lacking. I'm personally trying to get my tongue back in control. Lately I've been really sarcastic with some people, and while it was just fun entertainment to begin with, I've lost control of it, and I began to make comments that were hurting people and giving the wrong impression. So to counter the damage, I've begun apologizing to the people I've hurt, and I've made sure that the words coming out of my mouth--especially around them--has been encouraging and uplifting. I want to make sure, in this case, that I make sure to follow what Ephesians 4:29 says. "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."

And i don't want any careless word to come out of my mouth that can be held against me on Judegment Day. Matthew 12:36: "But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgement for every careless word they have spoken. For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned." I would definitely rather be acquitted rather than condemned. So I need to watch what words come out of my mouth, and how I say them, and who I say them to. This is part of an even bigger issue, which has to do with total dependency on God.

2 Corinthians 5:15: "And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves, but for him who died for them and was raised again." This means I must no longer just let my flesh and emotions decide what I do, when I do it, and how I do it. I need to follow God, and follow his Word, and be the disciple of Christ that I was called to be at my baptism. I need to trust him fully, to put all of my life into following him, not just parts of it that are convenient for me to hand over at the time. That being said, I need to be able to "step aside" as it were and let God do the talking for me when I'm in a tough position. So that it's not me and my opinions that are talking to someone, but God through me.

I know this might have been kinda erratic in some ways--like I said, there was, and still is, a lot on my mind. But let me know how you liked it and if it makes you think about some things you never considered before. This year is gonna be great, I can feel it. Stay open to what God may want to tell you, and be willing to be taught to grow and fix some of the not-so-great areas in your life.

I love you all!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Shawn! WOW! You WERE up to a lot, weren't you? And I'm your first follower! Yey! *first follower dance* Wait, you don't allow those. Phooey....

    Btw, if you check out my blog, you will find that we have the same templete (I changed mine a while back). Weird.....

    ReplyDelete